Attn. Clinton Ebadi

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:05:25 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Please set the temp controller to 72 with a variance of 2 by tomorrow
> evening.
> > Otherwise, you will start to ruin Rachel's saison.
> >
> > For reference: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Yeast_Life_Cycle.pdf
> >
> > Which is to say, after day 4, the esters are formed. The rest is
> conditioning.
> > BPT's beer is done except for conditioning; it is in the stationary
> phase of
> > fermentation.
> >
> > Please do not ruin Rachel's beer.
>
> Nope. Not ruining bpt's beer for no benefit.

BPT's beer will not be ruined. Its ester profile is set--an increase in
temperature will not harm it.

> The temp controller is on the bpt's beer (keeping it @ 63F for its final
> bit of activity), and the Saison is so thermally active it's already at
> 70F and rising and needs a blowoff.
>
> Read up on T-58. It is incredibly active and aiming to keep bpt's
> quickly idling beer at a low temp will be fine

I have. I recommend at a minimum increasing the temperature a few degrees
to ensure that the saison doesn't get damped down. You'll ignore this as
you do everything else I recommend, but you're the one who congratulated
Rachel on her willingness to experiment. Keeping the temperature down will
minimize that experiment.

> (also, I can ... you
> know, look at it and manage both of them -- temp changes occur on the
> scale of hours).

Please do.

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter