Supply Requisition Form

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 12:19:03 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >     I initially thought that as well. But Palmer's nomograph shows that
> at room
> >     temp, ideal pH starts at 5.4--and other sources (Strong, Papazian)
> reflect
> >     that increase at room temp. They use 5.2 as the ideal because mash
> temp is
> >     what what homebrewers are usually measuring pH at.
> >
> > s/at 5.4/at 5.6/, but the point holds.
>
> I am not convinced.
>

> http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6168.0;topicseen
>
> http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=25284
>
> The understanding I get is that Strong is wrong, Palmer was accidentally
> wrong from ignorance (How to Brew was written as a practical guide by a
> non-professional and the online edition is uncorrected and raw
> ... supposedly the print addition agrees with me), and Fix (the actual
> scientist) agrees with me. The folks in the first thread are Legendary
> Gods of Homebrew FWIW.
>
> In fact, Strong is part of the first thread... and appears to admit he
> was wrong (unfortunately after the book had gone to press).
>
> Supposedly the American Society of Brewing Chemists official method is
> to cool (or heat) samples to 25C
> (http://www.asbcnet.org/MOA/summaries/wort-8.aspx but it's paywalled in
> a particularly egregious way).
>
> pH, like SG, has a standard read temperature that is implied unless
> otherwise specified. Measuring at mash pH makes little sense because the
> pH altering chemical reactions occuring at the elevated temperature will
> be somewhat different from each wort leading to inconsistent
> measurements.

And ultimately, this is fine. I think the question comes back to whether
5.2 is our target at room temp or mash temp. If we're going to be using
room temp, we'll to need to adjust our target to 5.4-5.7, according to the
same threads you linked to.

And, of course, this still doesn't speak to the logistics of cooling a mash
sample to room temp in a short enough time to effect useful change on the
mash pH. But that's just me whining. :)

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org