Supply Requisition Form

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Wed Feb 15 11:56:03 EST 2012

Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:

>     I initially thought that as well. But Palmer's nomograph shows that at room
>     temp, ideal pH starts at 5.4--and other sources (Strong, Papazian) reflect
>     that increase at room temp. They use 5.2 as the ideal because mash temp is
>     what what homebrewers are usually measuring pH at.
>
> s/at 5.4/at 5.6/, but the point holds.

I am not convinced.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6168.0;topicseen

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=25284

The understanding I get is that Strong is wrong, Palmer was accidentally
wrong from ignorance (How to Brew was written as a practical guide by a
non-professional and the online edition is uncorrected and raw
... supposedly the print addition agrees with me), and Fix (the actual
scientist) agrees with me. The folks in the first thread are Legendary
Gods of Homebrew FWIW.

In fact, Strong is part of the first thread... and appears to admit he
was wrong (unfortunately after the book had gone to press).

Supposedly the American Society of Brewing Chemists official method is
to cool (or heat) samples to 25C
(http://www.asbcnet.org/MOA/summaries/wort-8.aspx but it's paywalled in
a particularly egregious way).

pH, like SG, has a standard read temperature that is implied unless
otherwise specified. Measuring at mash pH makes little sense because the
pH altering chemical reactions occuring at the elevated temperature will
be somewhat different from each wort leading to inconsistent
measurements.

--
<Sonarman> WHAT??!??! you don't want to attend my roundtable on
           neomarxist deconstruction schemes for modern