Stovetop brewing: Best Bitter take 2

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 12:28:19 EST 2011

Greetings, all,

I brewed up another batch of best bitter the other day (main post here:
http://pursuing.calefaction.org/2011/12/special-bitter-redux/). I used
Danstar Windsor to see how it stacks up with Wyeast's London ESB--both have
fruity profiles, apparently. I'm going to let it ride until mid-January to
see if more time is sufficient to help clear up the beer. It doesn't help
that Windsor is a non-flocculating yeast, but I figure gravity might have
some effect :)

A side note: we had concerns about the funkiness in the stovetop brown ale,
and I found them repeating in the amber. I'm pretty sure it's the molasses;
no sign of infection is present in my final bottle of the brown ale, and
the amber tastes fine after the first initial roughness. So I'm keeping
molasses to a minimum from here on out.

I also started my fenugreek extraction today. in 2 weeks' time we should
have something usable to play around with.

I hope you are all well!

--
Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter