[HCoop-Misc] [HCoop-Discuss] Making a Better Co-op (split from Proportional Representation?)

Steve Taylor staylor at hcoop.net
Mon Mar 3 19:33:37 EST 2008

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

> Stephen Taylor wrote:

<<snip already answered>>

>> My blunders when I joined and asked for help.

> Could you remind us of exactly what you think went
> wrong and what should have happened instead?

I see no benefit to HCoop in pursuing this. My
suggestions in general, represent what should have
happened instead. (By the way, I have
untechnically appreciated the answers or most of
the answers, you and others have taken time to write.)

>> The bounced e-mails I never received -- until I
>> asked.

> Are you suggesting that the admins implement some
> far-reaching program
> to detect when e-mail to members is bouncing?  I
> really don't understand
> how this example is constructive.

Then I'm just trying to understand how systems
work and what I should expect from them.

An explanation in the MemberManual: "if your ISP
greylists mail, please be sure that you have
whitelisted hcoop.net. Otherwise, some of the
HCoop mail might not get through"

>> The problem I created yesterday with a bad
> .forward
>> file. I fixed it, it tests okay but I'm missing
> mail.
>>

> Anyone editing a .forward file manually ought to
> realize that he can
> screw up his own mail (and luckily no one else's!)
> arbitrarily, and so
> he should take responsibility for that.

I take responsibility for it. But I ask this. Why not add
.forward-checking code/options into domtool, which error-checks
virtual host configuration?

>> The response (1) to my h-discuss e-mail full of
>> suggestions. That was my initial response to
>> the "What would make a better co-op."
>> discussion

> I find most of your messages hard to decipher.
> Your social norms seem quite different from
> those of most members, and I expect most others
> feel like I do that it takes a lot of effort to
> understand the real intent of your messages.

That's where I need feedback that says "What do
you mean?"

I know I often repeat ideas before anyone else has
heard them and said exactly that.

It's also where I need feedback about how to
communicate in mailing lists. Those suggestions
might have been more useful if I had stopped to
formulate each one as an individual e-mail

> You may have good ideas, but the question is if
> a person could do more good for the co-op by
> working on some concrete implementation instead.

That one I haven't fully answered. Question: If a
member had english-french translation skills (no I
don't), is it more beneficial for HCoop for that
person to spend, say one hour, translating HCoop
wiki pages or learning about and fixing
configuration errors he/she has made?

>> The moderator problem. Mail sent to moderator
>> that I heard no more of

<<thanks. my snip to focus on one new question>>
With the workload shift MWOlson can get other
things done. Thanks to the new moderator.

Does each mailing-list have a separate list of
approved addresses?

>> The wiki. To me, it's a brainstorming,
>> organzing, etc. tool. Response I got said it's for technical data.

> I don't think you got any response like that.
> The real problem seems to be that your question
> was unclear, and you interpreted lack of answers
> to your "real" question as assertions that what
> you meant to ask for was not allowed, which
> wasn't the case.

Browsing the web, there are many different wikis.
The wikis I have seen -- wikiwiki, usemod,
emacswiki, oddmuse, moinmoin -- seem to have more
contributors, even proportionallly, than
wiki.hcoop. Why?