[HCoop-Misc] Managed hosting at Peer1

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Fri Apr 18 18:32:23 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 02:04:51AM +0530, Alok G. Singh wrote:

> Someone I know is looking for a managed hosting solution at Peer1. Do
> any of the co-op members have opinions to share about Peer1.
>
> Recommendations of other services are also welcome.

I think HCoop's experience with Peer1 has been quite satisfactory.

For the record, right at the beginning of our hosting there, they
announced a non-service-impacting maintenance job on the UPS system,
which ended up failing and brought our machines down for some
shorter amount of time.

They apologized and scheduled another N-S-I maintenance job the
following week, which again ended up bringing our machines down.
That time, it was in the middle of our admin work and we had to
invest significant effort in getting Mire to boot again.

But other than that and since then, I think everything was working well
and without any problems.

There's also Interserver, which has been hosting our old server Fyodor,
which also provided satisfactory service. We initially heared about them
on grsecurity.net website (they were one of the sponsors).
The only (possibly big) problem with them was not offering any backup
service even though it was advertised to be a part of the package.
We found out later their backup system was at its peek and not able to
handle more clients, but still that did not help us nor the offered an
alternative.

And there's also Bytemark where we've been hosting outpost.hcoop.net and
they're a widely-known UK-based hosting provider.

-doc