[HCoop-Help] DNS Problems with hcoop.net subdomain

Adam Chlipala adam at chlipala.net
Sat Feb 20 21:14:26 EST 2010

Nathan Weston wrote:
> 1) www.cfoboard.hcoop.net works, but cfoboard.hcoop.net doesn't
> (although it used to)

Your configuration doesn't ask for any mapping for "cfoboard.hcoop.net"
to be added.  Why are you using the "domain" configuration directive
instead of "dom"?  I think you should come up with the results you want
if you just follow the examples here, where I've tried to stress that
folks should almost never use "domain":
     http://wiki.hcoop.net/DomTool/Examples

(It's quite possible that our documentation is out of sync, and
something on our wiki suggested using "domain."  If so, it would be
useful for us to know where that is.)

> 2) The domain seems to come and go from DNS. Some days I can resolve it,
> and other days I can't.

Our secondary DNS server wasn't updating because a daemon had lost AFS
tokens about a month ago, but no one noticed until now.  It should be
working again now; I'll leave it up to the admins to figure out a
permanent fix for this problem on outpost.hcoop.net.

> If I do "nslookup www.cfoboard.hcoop.net ns1.hcoop.net" it does work:
>
> Server:		ns1.hcoop.net
> Address:	69.90.123.67#53
>
> Name:	www.cfoboard.hcoop.net
> Address: 69.90.123.68
>
> But visiting this IP address in a browser just takes me to the hcoop.net
> front page.

You shouldn't expect anything else.  All non-SSL virtual hosts share the
same IP address.  If your web browser isn't requesting a particular
hostname, then there's no way our web server could know which vhost you
want.