[HCoop-Help] DNS Problems with hcoop.net subdomain

Davor Ocelic docelic at hcoop.net
Sun Feb 21 06:20:45 EST 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:14:26 -0500
Adam Chlipala <adam at chlipala.net> wrote:

Hello,

> Our secondary DNS server wasn't updating because a daemon had lost
> AFS tokens about a month ago, but no one noticed until now.  It
> should be working again now; I'll leave it up to the admins to figure
> out a permanent fix for this problem on outpost.hcoop.net.

This must have happened when we rebooted Deleuze the last time.
I thought I have taken care of this on outpost, but I did not
double-check later, and as we see I should have.

> > Name:	www.cfoboard.hcoop.net
> > Address: 69.90.123.68
> >
> > But visiting this IP address in a browser just takes me to the
> > hcoop.net front page.
> >

> You shouldn't expect anything else.  All non-SSL virtual hosts share
> the same IP address.  If your web browser isn't requesting a
> particular hostname, then there's no way our web server could know
> which vhost you want.

Right. As Adam says, you can expect "www.cfoboard.hcoop.net" to go
to your site, but not "69.90.123.68".

When the webservers are serving multiple domains from the same IP,
they determine the virtual host to serve from the Hostname: parameter
in the HTTP request. (i.e. IP 69.90.123.68,
Hostname: www.cfoboard.hcoop.net).

When you access the server via an IP address, the Hostname: parameter
is not defined, so the webserver shows the default configured site,
which happens to be hcoop.net.

Cya,
-doc