[HCoop-Help] "aklog: can't get afs configuration"

Zrajm C Akfohg zrajmc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 06:30:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Adam Megacz <megacz at hcoop.net> wrote:

> Zrajm C Akfohg <zrajm at klingonska.org> writes:
>> I realize that /etc/openafs (which does not exist on my system at all)
>> is missing... But what should be in there?
>
> Hrm, I think you must be missing some packages, because at least on
> debian, /etc/openafs will be created when you install openafs-client.
> Ubuntu should do the same.

Ohh. Okay. I didn't know which package to install and for some reason
drew the conclusion that it should be "openafs-krb5". After installing
both "openafs-client" and "openafs-krb5" I seem to have all the
relevant files. ("openafs-krb5" gives me the aklog command, and
"openafs-client" the /etc/openafs directory structure).

Many thanx for the tip!

> We have our AFS set up so that you don't need to do any client-side
> configuration at all (it will "just work"), so you don't need to
> change anything in /etc/openafs.  But the fact that it's not even
> there indicates that something else is amiss.

Now, when running kinit and aklog I get:

$ kinit zrajm at HCOOP.NET
zrajm at HCOOP.NET's Password:
$ aklog
aklog: unable to obtain tokens for cell hcoop.net (status: 11862788).

Installation process for "openafs-client" asked me a couple of
questions for which I'm not certain I answered the right thing. Here
are the questions:

    AFS filespace is organized into cells or administrative domains.
    Each workstation belongs to one cell.  Usually the cell is the DNS
    domain name of the site.

    AFS cell this workstation belongs to:

(I answered: "hcoop.net")

    AFS uses an area of the disk to cache remote files for faster access.
    This cache will be mounted on /var/cache/openafs.  It is important
    that the cache not overfill the partition it is located on.  Often, people
    find it useful to dedicate a partition to their AFS cache.

    Size of AFS cache in kB:

(I answered the default: "50000")

    AFS uses the file /etc/openafs/CellServDB to hold the list of servers
    that should be contacted to find parts of a cell. The cell you claim
    this workstation belongs to is not in that file.  Enter the host names
    of the database servers separated by spaces. IMPORTANT: If you are
    creating a new cell and this machine is to be a database server in
    that cell, only enter this machine's name; add the other servers later
    after they are functioning. Also, do not enable the AFS client to start
    at boot on this server until the cell is configured.  When you are ready
    you can edit /etc/openafs/afs.conf.client to enable the client

    DB server host names for your home cell:

(I answered: "lal" -- the name of my machine as returned by "uname -n")

    Normally, most users who install the openafs-client package expect
    AFS to be mounted automatically at boot.  However, if you are
    planning on setting up a new cell or are on a laptop, you may not want
    it started at boot time.  If you choose not to start AFS at boot, run
    /etc/init.d/openafs-client force-start to start the client when you wish
    to run it.

    Run Openafs client now and at boot?

       <Yes>                                       <No>

(I answered: "No".)

/zrajm

  Zrajm C Akfohg   Mobil: 076-211 50 43   E-post: zrajm at klingonska.org
  Villav.33, 2tr   Telefon: 018-500 911   http://zrajm.klingonska.org/
  Upsala, Sweden   ICQ-nummer: 16769663   voDleH Hol DajatlhlaH'a' je?