[HCoop-Help] domtool DNS

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Wed Jul 23 08:56:24 EDT 2008

Adam Megacz wrote:
> Hi, I'm having trouble getting domtool to do 4th-level domains and
> 2nd-level domains.  The easiest way to phrase my question is this:
> what are the domtool lines that cause the following BIND lines to be
> created?  The domain in question is "xwt.org".
>
>   xwt.org.              300   IN CNAME  megacz.com.
>   master.dist.xwt.org.  300   IN CNAME  xwt.org.
>
> Note that in the first case there is no third-level domain; in the
> second case there is a fourth-level.

I think the way Domtool supports this now is to define a subdomain, even
if you think of the matter as though no subdomain exists.

Is there some negative DNS consequence for this that I didn't think of?

BTW, Domtool is supposedly able to get DNS data entirely through slaving
from BIND servers elsewhere.  I don't think this has been tested much
yet.  Would you rather do that?

> Also, does domtool have support for user-specified SRV records?  I
> kinda need those.

While I hesitate to point most HCoop members to type signatures to
answer their questions, I hope that it's safe to do in this case. :-)  See:
    http://hcoop.net/domtool/bind.html