[HCoop-Discuss] Surprise $2500 Bill For Bandwidth Overage @ Peer1

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sun Jan 13 15:52:13 EST 2019

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I had hoped to resolve this with Peer1 by now, but it has been two days
> and they have ignored us, with only ten days left until they bill us so
> I want to get this conversation started now in case they don't budge...
>
> We managed to hit ~22Mbit/s 95th percentile at Peer1 during November,
> which has resulted in our second every overage (last was at least five
> years ago, and only 1Mbit/s...), and a surprise $2500 bill. We do NOT
> have the funds to pay this, so are in a bit of a situation, and would
> need some donations to cover it if they insist on charging us.

Just a quick update -- shortly after sending this they charged us but
then refunded it (as we were pretty clear we were disupting/had
insufficient funds), which has been followed by almost no communication
since.

Their networking department confirmed we were not over for a huge amount
of time (a bit more than my estimates, but still at worse ~18h), but
that was the last communication we had with them. We are still holding
out some hope for negotiation here, but if they insist on making us pay
we really have no choice here, and will have to do so before March. The
board has resolved to continue attempts to communicate/negotiate until
Februrary, at which point we would pass the donation hat around as it
were (with me covering any difference -- ultimately my oversight did
lead to the cron running over our allocation, even if Peer 1 is being
heinously unfair here / after all the effort I put in last year I'm not
letting this ruin the coop).

I'll update once we have anything new to report.