[HCoop-Discuss] Some changes to wordpress and! SSL SNI

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sun Jan 20 21:50:05 EST 2013

Greetings,

I changed the addWordPress action to hide your .svn directories
automatically, as recommended by the wordpress manual.

And, I managed to transform Frank Bynum's partial wordpress install
guide into: http://wiki.hcoop.net/MemberManual/WebApplications/WordPress

I ran into trouble with the plugin/theme installer thing, and solved it
after digging into the source (wordpress: why must you do stupid things
in some quest for false security)... why oh why has no one ever filed a
bug or complained that they couldn't manage plugins?!

Oh well, it's easy to make it work now if you've been quietly despairing
about having to manually download and install plugins/themes.

And now for a surprise: in theory TLS Server Name Indication works on
navajos out of the box. So, if you have an SSL host, or have ever wanted
an SSL host but didn't want to take up a precious IP, you can now host
your site with a perfectly valid certificate.

Unfortunately, no one using a custom certificate has migrated :( On the
topic of SSL, does anyone have intermediate CA certificates they need
supported via SSLChainFile? I am preparing to add domtool support, but
there's no way to verify it without someone to test it on. If no one
pipes up, I was meaning to transfer my domains to gandi and they'll give
me a free one year cert...

We also might finally want to actually get a signed certificate for
*.hcoop.net; gandi charges $160 a year for a wildcard cert like that so
it's not unaffordable. There's no real increased safety from having one,
but there's the not-causing-warnings factor.

p.s. migrate to navajos/bog now if you haven't done it already ;) I
     swear the grass is greener over here.

--
Lindsay (Carlton): nighttime baker! sounds a little iffy