[HCoop-Discuss] Last Call for Comments Before Replacing hcoop.net

t0rch t0rch at hcoop.net
Sun Jan 20 07:19:22 EST 2013

On 2013-01-19 18:32, BT Templeton wrote:
> Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> The lack of commentary makes me suspect that the new site is ready to
>> go. I made a few final cleanups suggested by bpt and now, I think
>> http://new.hcoop.net is ready to be hcoop.net.
>>
>> So! Last chance to lodge any objections or suggest improvements
>> before I
>> switch the new site over to hcoop.net. I have a couple of hours worth
>> of
>> boring yard work and when I get back I'm flipping the needed domtool
>> knobs unless anyone pipes up.
>
> IMHO we shouldn't ask visitors to use Facebook or otherwise promote
> Facebook officially. Among other issues, Facebook promotes a harmful
> "real name" policy requiring that users register under their legal
> names
> [1]; they are insufficiently transparent about their level of
> cooperation with law enforcement and government surveillance programs
> [2]; and they are generally hostile to the open web and to individual
> privacy when it conflicts with the interests of advertisers.
>
> It would be better to link to Planet HCoop, or even to the IRC
> channel.
> Linking to Planet HCoop would increase its visibility and encourage
> members to syndicate their weblogs there. Alternatively, we could
> create
> an HCoop community on a free network service like Identi.ca or
> Diaspora.
>
> [1]
> <http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Who_is_harmed_by_a_%22Real_Names%22_policy%3F>
>
> [2]
> <https://www.eff.org/pages/when-government-comes-knocking-who-has-your-back>

I concur.

Can we replace the Facebook area with a link to a "Social Media" page.
On that page you could list Facebook and other social media options. You
could also mention the chat groups and mailing lists.

This accomplishes the intent of reassuring prospective members they
will have a community of friends to call on when they get stuck, without
promoting one channel too much.

T0rch.