[HCoop-Discuss] Last Call for Comments Before Replacing hcoop.net

BT Templeton bpt at hcoop.net
Sat Jan 19 18:32:25 EST 2013

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> The lack of commentary makes me suspect that the new site is ready to
> go. I made a few final cleanups suggested by bpt and now, I think
> http://new.hcoop.net is ready to be hcoop.net.
>
> So! Last chance to lodge any objections or suggest improvements before I
> switch the new site over to hcoop.net. I have a couple of hours worth of
> boring yard work and when I get back I'm flipping the needed domtool
> knobs unless anyone pipes up.

IMHO we shouldn't ask visitors to use Facebook or otherwise promote
Facebook officially. Among other issues, Facebook promotes a harmful
"real name" policy requiring that users register under their legal names
[1]; they are insufficiently transparent about their level of
cooperation with law enforcement and government surveillance programs
[2]; and they are generally hostile to the open web and to individual
privacy when it conflicts with the interests of advertisers.

It would be better to link to Planet HCoop, or even to the IRC channel.
Linking to Planet HCoop would increase its visibility and encourage
members to syndicate their weblogs there. Alternatively, we could create
an HCoop community on a free network service like Identi.ca or Diaspora.

[1]
<http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Who_is_harmed_by_a_%22Real_Names%22_policy%3F>

[2]
<https://www.eff.org/pages/when-government-comes-knocking-who-has-your-back>

--
Inteligenta persono lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
Esperanto estas moderna, kultura lingvo por la mondo. Simpla, fleksebla,