[HCoop-Discuss] Dedicated servers?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu May 21 15:16:42 EDT 2009

Davor Ocelic wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:04:11 -0400
> Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
>

>> What does everyone this about this vs. VPSes vs. colocating hardware
>> that we own?
>>

> I prefer dedicated hardware for us, at least for the main machines.

Everyone prefers it.  It's just a matter of if it looks reasonable,
considering all costs.

> That server, for example, has a RSA (Remote Admin card, a bit
> of a name clash, ain't it?) that supports ssh and console access
> (no need for a separate KVM box)

It's probably more economical to have a separate KVM if you have more
than two servers, right?  IP address costs alone could start to add up.

I'm sure that we save the most money by owning our own servers, but I
believe that we need to be paying a colocation provider to handle fixing
broken hardware.  I'm not sure which providers will agree to do that.
Given the costs of paying our own people directly to go to data centers
and fix broken hardware, does anyone disagree that we should be looking
for set-ups where someone else accepts responsibility for keeping our
hardware working, for a fixed monthly fee (like insurance)?