[HCoop-Discuss] Dedicated servers?

Davor Ocelic docelic at hcoop.net
Thu May 21 14:03:52 EDT 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:04:11 -0400
Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:

> What does everyone this about this vs. VPSes vs. colocating hardware
> that we own?

I prefer dedicated hardware for us, at least for the main machines.

Just recently I was setting up an IBM x3550 server for one of my
company's clients, and the way how the whole thing works nowadays
is really good.

That server, for example, has a RSA (Remote Admin card, a bit
of a name clash, ain't it?) that supports ssh and console access
(no need for a separate KVM box), Quad-core processor, up to 16 GB
of RAM I think, etc etc.

On top of that, the virtualization solution we use there is
openvz, which is very excellent and lightweight, provided that you
run the same OS as the base and in VPS (which we do).

That 1U server, complete & new, with 500 GB SAS RAID-1, costed
about $2255.

Cya,
-doc