[HCoop-Discuss] VPS hosting for HCoop

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun May 17 15:26:11 EDT 2009

Philip Neustrom wrote:

> If we were to go the VPS route -- largely for the simplified managment
> -- I would recommend we purchase our VPS from a cooperative provider
> such as Cernio.  Despite the slightly higher cost, our members
> payments would go toward supporting a similarly-aligned effort and we
> would have some say in how the VPS organization was run.

For me to support going with Cernio, I would need some detailed
information on how they have changed since we last tried to get a VPS
set up with them.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe we
canceled our membership with them after they had gone a month from our
time of payment without showing any signs of setting up our VPS or
responding to inquiries about it.  At that point, we learned that Cernio
is really just Graham Freeman, with no other real staff, and that he is
just not able to provide a reasonable level of service.  In other words,
the deceptively low cost has origins similar to ours.

We have a VPS account with the Tech Co-op now, but I would still prefer
to go with a provider like Linode.  To me, quality of service trumps
almost any difference in democratic-ness.  I believe that the majority
of HCoop members feel that way, too; very few are really into the
"co-op" aspect as an end in itself.  If this ends up being an issue,
then we should probably take a poll to see how the opinions break down.