[HCoop-Discuss] VPS hosting for HCoop

Michael Potter mpotter at hcoop.net
Tue May 19 16:54:04 EDT 2009

I'm a little suspicious that you're pushing this as an alternative way
to bring on paid staff by at least partially outsourcing them as the
staff of a VPS provider. All the same, the idea is worth some thought
when we consider how many issues we've had with the hardware and
geographic limits for admins. On the other hand, another con you missed
was the problem of finding a VPS provider willing to let us use our own
kernel.

I work with a VPS and it does have some interesting issues you don't get
with regular hardware. For example, I once had to shut down the httpd
server to install an rpm because it kept claiming there wasn't enough
memory, but it's supposed to have up to 2GB of "RAM." I suspect Xen was
slow in expanding its memory from its set minimum.

There is also the philosophical angle to consider, whether a co-op
should move down one tier closer to retail and feed the for-profit
world. From running all VPSes, it's only one more step to mass
purchasing a web hosting package from a commercial provider with a group
discount, and so outsourcing tech support and software configuration. It
would be more in keeping with the cooperative approach to move UP a
level and provide its own rackspace. This is not exactly trivial though.

Michael