[HCoop-Discuss] Domtool & .htaccess files

Davor Ocelic docelic at hcoop.net
Sun May 10 20:37:41 EDT 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009 15:16:13 -0700
Philip Neustrom <philipn at gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, the biggest thing preventing me from using HCoop's resources
> for more projects is that whenever I want to set up a simple website I
> have to go to the wiki and tear through a boatload of documentation on
> domtool.  Ultimately I end up copying/pasting one of the preset
> configurations.

How about you bookmark that Wiki page?:)

Hehe, ok seriously though, did you have success with the config
examples? I usually always suggest people to use preset configs for
quick results; be it from the Wiki or other people's configs.

Once you configure your first domain, creating other domains based on
that one is very easy.

Also, a hint, if you need to set up any specific directive (such as a
rewrite rule) and don't know how to put it into Domtool, and there's
no Wiki example, you can quickly scan other peoples' configs like this:

cd /afs/.hcoop.net/user
rgrep -i YOUR_KEYWORD ?/??/*/.domtool/

Another thing, you can post direct "give me the lines to copy/paste"
requests to the hcoop-help at lists.hcoop.net list, a bunch of people
will gladly help.

I think that's a good-enough "jumpstart" for newcomers.

On a side note, personally, I like stuff that pushes peoples'
boundaries a bit, so that you can grow and expand your knowledge.
And everything about Domtool fits that category.

I understand that this might not be what you're looking for, especially
if you just want a straightforward, trouble-free one domain
setup, using your existing knowledge. But, since you already got
results with Domtool, you probably agree that keeping a mental window
open for new things to come in takes person a long way, in technology
and otherwise.

> .htaccess envy,
:)

Cya,