[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri May 8 13:00:16 EDT 2009

Daniel Margolis wrote:
> So your claim is that our overhead costs are over 55 times those of
> Amazon? (Peer1 costs are fixed overhead rather than per unit with
> respect to bandwidth, CPU, and disk usage.)

Since we're providing our own servers, Peer 1 costs are independent of
CPU or disk usage.  We also have their cheapest bandwidth plan, I think,
which we don't come close to saturating.  Thus, taking our current
hosting plan as fixed, there's very little justification for linking
shares of Peer 1 costs to member resource usage.  We're paying for space
that could be used to host much more expensive and powerful hardware,
but instead we're filling it with low-powered donated machines.  In
essence, we're seriously underutilizing the resources Peer 1 is giving
us, but we're saving on our own non-monthly hardware costs by doing so.
We couldn't do very much better with another colo provider, since slow
servers can take up as much space as fast servers.

Again, I won't dispute that this leaves us with high fixed overhead, and
I'm starting to feel more amenable to switching to some virtualized
solution, but I _don't_ believe that it makes sense to say that members
using low amounts of bandwidth, CPU, or disk "obviously deserve" to pay
less of Peer 1 costs than members with high usage, as long as we don't
come close to overgrowing what can fit in our quarter cabinet.