[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu May 7 16:59:27 EDT 2009

docelic at mire.hcoop.net wrote:
> I personally was one of the people who like the idea of HCoop due to being
> a non-profit and not charging more than absolutely needed.
> Some kind of a "limit" I've always had in mind when thinking about
> per-member due was $7.

I think that is quite a reasonable target, even if we get a half-time
paid staff member, if we grow membership enough. Just considering our
current member base and the $2/mo. dues increase that follows your
suggestion, we end up with $266/mo. "extra" to pay staff. From my
experience being a graduate student in CS, normal pay for half-time
research assistants is under $2000/mo.. (And that is for quite
highly-skilled work compared to sysadmin'ing for "normal"
architectures.) At $7/mo./member, we would only need 867 more members to
close the gap to $2000; and we might be able to save money by finding a
better physical hosting situation. It seems like a stretch to assume
we'll get to that membership level in the next few years, but it's not
at all out of the question, if we get a stable platform that overcomes
the current most popular gripes. If we raise dues to $10 instead of $7,
we only need 267 more members to fund a $2000/mo. part-time staff
member, if other costs remain the same.

I can't see how we can get to that point without dues above $7 in the
mean-time, though, through extra pledges or a higher fixed amount for
each member.