[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

docelic at mire.hcoop.net docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Thu May 7 16:46:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 03:19:43PM -0400, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> Chris Fallin wrote:
> > What are the estimated costs for paid staff?
>
> Beats me.  I would like to start some serious investigations into these
> sorts of figures.  This list thread is a precursor to figuring out
> exactly what we ought to investigate.

IMO, the cost of hiring a half-time paid admin is not
too big per-se, but given the minimal per-member fees we've been
maintaining, any increase to that seems like a drastic change.

I personally was one of the people who like the idea of HCoop due to being
a non-profit and not charging more than absolutely needed.
Some kind of a "limit" I've always had in mind when thinking about
per-member due was $7.

But this was a few years ago. Since then, I've gotten my personal
finances to the point where I could pay a higher share, and also
as the cooperative, we have grown to another level.

So here are the issues I am thinking about now:

I've been a member of HCoop since the late 2002 or 2003. We had
periods when our technical setup was in its "sweet spot", giving
optimal cost/effect ratio.

But in the present time, there are only a few members who have no any
complaints on the service. (Be it about speed, performance, reliability
or time needed to implement larger changes or offer extra features).

In that context, we have to come up with a solution (hopefully through
this & other discussions we'll be having).

It basically comes down to two choices:

1) Do we fix the problem by only getting the existing functionality to
acceptable performance, close HCoop for new members, freeze per-member
due and maintain status quo for the foreseeable future.

2) Do we take a path where we start to regularly invest in our infrastructure
and service, and do whatever is necessary to keep up with time, changing
requirements and an increase in membership base.

I am dedicated to supporting a scheme where we are not charged for more
than is necessary for HCoop's technical operation.

But both of the above choices could be be viewed as "necessary",
depending on the line of thinking we follow, and this is the decision
we have to make.

Option 1 keeps member dues low, but brings HCoop into stagnation.

Option 2 ensures prosperity and growth of HCoop, but may drive a
portion of members away due to increased monthly dues.

Personally, I'd be fine with any choice we make; HCoop's been in
existence for about 10 years, and in my view it already provided enough
quality CPU cycles to be viewed as a success.

In terms of The Right Thing to Do though, I'd support option 2.

Cya,
-doc