[HCoop-Discuss] how do I add options to a poll that I have created?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri Jul 31 13:54:12 EDT 2009

ketti wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Adam Chlipala<adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, I take offense when people use "they" as a singular. :P  "He" as a
>> gender-neutral pronoun is well-established, and the one sample here is
>> consistent both with always using "he" and with alternating between "he"
>> and "she," both of which strategies I prefer to using "they."
>>

> (You did not alternate, you used masculine form twice - or is
> alternation done at a higher level?)

I think alternating within a single sentence, describing a single
referent, comes off as weird/inconsistent.

> I don't like "they" as a general drop-in for singular third person
> either (although some uses of singular "they" are fine with me).
> In written text I prefer "s/he" (or "ze", I love "ze" ^_^) and "hir".

Anytime you use any of those options for a general audience, the fact
that you chose an unusual pronoun dominates the reader's attention,
drawing attention away from your real message.

> I also like convoluted sentence structures in order to avoid pronouns.

I like to go that way, too; sometimes I just don't feel motivated enough
to spend the time doing it. :-)