[HCoop-Discuss] how do I add options to a poll that I have created?

Brian Templeton bpt at hcoop.net
Fri Jul 31 13:36:29 EDT 2009

ketti <kattlachan at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Adam Chlipala<adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
>> Well, I take offense when people use "they" as a singular. :P  "He" as a
>> gender-neutral pronoun is well-established, and the one sample here is
>> consistent both with always using "he" and with alternating between "he"
>> and "she," both of which strategies I prefer to using "they."
>
> (You did not alternate, you used masculine form twice - or is
> alternation done at a higher level?)
>
> I don't like "they" as a general drop-in for singular third person
> either (although some uses of singular "they" are fine with me).
> In written text I prefer "s/he" (or "ze", I love "ze" ^_^) and "hir".
> I also like convoluted sentence structures in order to avoid pronouns.
>
> I suspect this is quite a bit off topic... Sorry.

It may be off-topic in this thread, but this is an issue that has come
up before: <http://wiki.hcoop.net/GenderNeutralLanguage>. Personally I
think "s/he" is clunky and unpronounceable while still reinforcing the
gender binary. There is plenty of precedent for using singular 'they',
but neologistic pronouns work too!

--
Inteligenta persono lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
Esperanto estas moderna, kultura lingvo por la mondo. Simpla, fleksebla,