[HCoop-Discuss] Planning

Derrick Brashear shadow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:44:57 EDT 2009

>> I didn't mean a generic "real world."  I meant the realities of an
>> all-volunteer organization like ours that nonetheless tries to provide
>> services to everyone who applies for membership.  Our volunteers are
>> just not going to tend to be willing to spend lots of time learning to
>> use new systems.
>
> Would you agree that AFS is (provided that it's done right) a one-time
> effort? So you set it up once and than run it forever?

I set it up in 1994 and have mostly not touched it since. I still have
a SunOS 4 database server.
If you argue I'm wrong, tell me what older machine you still have
running, and what it provides.

Yes, I have offered a litmus test.

I was not an expert. I was an undergraduate student, and AFS was not
open source.

--
Derrick