[HCoop-Discuss] Planning

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Jul 16 16:54:09 EDT 2009

Derrick Brashear wrote:
>>> I didn't mean a generic "real world."  I meant the realities of an
>>> all-volunteer organization like ours that nonetheless tries to provide
>>> services to everyone who applies for membership.  Our volunteers are
>>> just not going to tend to be willing to spend lots of time learning to
>>> use new systems.
>>>
>> Would you agree that AFS is (provided that it's done right) a one-time
>> effort? So you set it up once and than run it forever?
>>

> I set it up in 1994 and have mostly not touched it since. I still have
> a SunOS 4 database server.
> If you argue I'm wrong, tell me what older machine you still have
> running, and what it provides.
>
> Yes, I have offered a litmus test.
>
> I was not an expert. I was an undergraduate student, and AFS was not
> open source.

I'm perfectly willing to claim any level of personal admining
incompetence needed to settle this.  I've been trying to pass off all
admin responsibilities for a while; people who are interested in
continued responsibilities can give their own answers.  The facts bear
out that the people who have agreed to do admin work with HCoop are not
willing to take the time needed to learn how to create and maintain a
water-tight AFS set-up, despite the fact that we were very successful at
maintaining a traditional singleton server for many years.