[HCoop-Discuss] Finalizing Hardware Upgrade

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Thu Dec 3 18:50:53 EST 2009

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Davor Ocelic <docelic at hcoop.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:13:18 -0500
>> Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to look over the hardware list and post a final proposal
>>> in a day or three (ideally today or tomorrow, but three is what I can
>>> promise).
>>
>> Hola Clinton,
>>
>> How's going on this? Want me to take this over later today, according
>> to your setup on the new Migration page?
>
> I had a bit more work than expected (I'm dealing with the nastiest parts
> of a database with a schema that comes out to 55 printed pages... every
> time I think I finish something new comes up) so I can't get this done
> before I have other obligations today. If you can spec anything out
> there isn't too much to do.
>
> Basically I think going with the Option B hardware, but half of
> everything listed is the best way. And probably just getting 2x160G boot
> drives from Dell and sourcing two or three 500/750/1000G drives from
> newegg for the AFS RAID (depending on whether we want RAID1 or 5).

Here we go:

* Server

PowerEdge 2970
 - 2xQuad Core Opteron 2372HE (2.1GHz / 4x512K L2)
 - 8G RAM (4x2G 800MHz DDR / Dual Ranked)
 - 2x160G primary drives

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1009535751820&toEmail=clinton@unknownlamer.org

The ship date does not look promising, but I might be able to fiddle
with the config a bit to move the date up.

Cost: $1812

* Drives

3xSeagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148295

These a bit pricier than the other 750G drives, but they have a five
year warranty.

Cost: $130 each ($390)

Two open questions:

 - Do we want to get the management console now or should we just
   continue using the IPKVM for a bit? (we'll need a keyboard/monitor
   cable if we do this and we lose remote power cycling ability). A
   console is close to $500.
 - I didn't include a new switch because we should have a free port now
   that krunk is offline. An umanaged 1U 8-port GigE switch is around
   $65; I think we should just wait until we need a managed switch to
   bother upgrading. Any thoughts?