[HCoop-Discuss] HCoop requirement to read user at hcoop.net

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue Feb 19 11:51:41 EST 2008

Omry Yadan wrote:
> This is the case because I use greylisting on yadan.net
> very little spam gets through because spammers don't use a standard
> compliant mail server.
> on the other hand, spam forwarded to me through hcoop does use a
> standard compliant mail server, so it's always getting through.
Then it's not a very fair comparison, and you can't really measure the
false positive/negative rate compared to Spamassassin on HCoop.

I use SA with aggressive settings.  I have no idea how much spam I get
at HCoop now because I have it trash extremely spammy messages.  I get
about a spam every other day in my inbox, and every few days I skim over
a few hundred messages in my Junk folder that are somewhat but not
extremely spammy.  Takes about three minutes, including the "move to
siteham/spam" time.
> At some point, every server error message on my hcoop hosted sites had
> my hcoop email.
> also, if I remember correctly - the hcoop email used to be published on
> the public member directory.

If that's the case I am not aware of it.
> I never said I intend not to read emails.
> all I am saying that I don't see why hcoop need to send me emails to the
> 'wrong' email.
> the fact thet hcoop offers mail services does not imply that everyone
> need to use it, people had email addresses before they joined hcoop.
> configuring hcoop mail to only forward emails from hcoop is a pretty
> good suggestion, but :
> 1. it does not fully answer the requirement to read my hcoop.net emails.
> 2. spammers often forge the from field to be something at hcoop.net

1. Consider the requirement clarified to be only HCoop.net emails from
HCoop staff, and hcoop-announce messages to the extent that you want to
be informed about critical matters.  Both of these will only comes from
a handful of addresses, all at hcoop.net.

2. I get some of these but not many at all.  Combining basic spam
filtering with blacklisting mail not @hcoop.net would surely eliminate
virtually all spam.  If you don't give anyone your email address
@hcoop.net, then the only emails you will get @hcoop.net are from
HCoop--or some spam, if they guess your address.  If this doesn't reduce
spam from HCoop to acceptable levels, then there may be a legitimate
reason not to want to accept mail forwarded from HCoop.  Right now
you're just forwarding all mail without filtering.