[HCoop-Discuss] HCoop requirement to read user at hcoop.net

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Tue Feb 19 11:22:53 EST 2008

Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> Omry Yadan wrote:
>
>> You know, about that:
>> I currently forward all my hcoop emails to my own email address, and I
>> my hcoop email is a spam bait.
>> 90% of the spam I get is sent to that address.
>> it's so annoying that I am considering turning off this forwarding.
>> I don't get _anything_ useful sent to my hcoop email. I am easy enough
>> to find.
>> if hcoop isn't already - it should have an option for users to specify a
>> contact email address and not assume user at hcoop.net will work.
>>

> I have no idea why this would be the case.  A Google search for your
> yadan.net email address yields almost 1000 hits.  A search for your
> hcoop.net address yields zero.
This is the case because I use greylisting on yadan.net
very little spam gets through because spammers don't use a standard
compliant mail server.
on the other hand, spam forwarded to me through hcoop does use a
standard compliant mail server, so it's always getting through.
>   If spammers have really found or
> brute-forced your @hcoop.net address or your @yadan.net address, there's
> no reason for that I can see, certainly nothing being done wrong on our
> end.  I get an inordinate amount of spam to my hcoop address myself,
> probably about 1/3 of it direct, 1/3 of it to my other addresses being
> forwarded, and 1/3 to other HCoop aliases that I receive mail on.

At some point, every server error message on my hcoop hosted sites had
my hcoop email.
also, if I remember correctly - the hcoop email used to be published on
the public member directory.

> That being said, it is not unreasonable of us to require you to read
> @hcoop.net emails anyway.  You can easily configure it to forward only
> emails from the @hcoop.net domain and delete or archive the rest.  Spam
> is not an excuse for not reading email at all.

I never said I intend not to read emails.
all I am saying that I don't see why hcoop need to send me emails to the
'wrong' email.
the fact thet hcoop offers mail services does not imply that everyone
need to use it, people had email addresses before they joined hcoop.

configuring hcoop mail to only forward emails from hcoop is a pretty
good suggestion, but :
1. it does not fully answer the requirement to read my hcoop.net emails.
2. spammers often forge the from field to be something at hcoop.net

    Omry.