[HCoop-Discuss] Misconcenptions about the deposit requirement

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Mon Feb 18 17:23:14 EST 2008

There seem to be a few misconceptions with regards to the new deposit
requirement.

Misconception 1. If you forget to check the portal all the time and pay
one month, the first way you will know is that your website is down and
you can't log into HCoop.

Truth:
First, you will still be receiving just as much advance notice for low
balances as you did before.

Second, your account will not be frozen immediately once your balance
reaches zero now!  Once the new system is fully implemented and members
have been fully informed and had the chance to pay up their deposits,
accounts will only be frozen when your balance is more negative than
your deposit is positive -- a negative balance of about three month's
payments.

This means that you ignored multiple low balance emails until your
account balance became zero, and then ignored repeated negative balance
emails for three months without paying.  There will actually be more
notice than before.  Anyone in this situation is someone whose account
we would have wanted to be able to freeze before.

Misconception 2. HCoop just took a big chunk of my money!

Truth:
No, it just allocated part of your balance to a refundable deposit
viewable on the Financials page of the portal, which is payable to you
when you leave HCoop just as your old balance was.  This was not a
billing event.

Misconception 3. I can't afford this deposit.

Truth:
Anyone who could afford to be an HCoop member before can afford to be an
HCoop member now.  We are billing members at the same times and in the
same amounts as before.  If you are a member who can't afford to pay in
your whole deposit all at once, we can work with you to gradually bring
your balance up to being positive.

What this does mean is that in the future we will have pretty much
eliminated the problem we have had multiple times in the past where
members left the co-op footing the bill for their negative balances when
they departed.  These amounts had to be billed out to members; so
actually, your bills will go *down* under the new system in the future,
which was the whole point.

This system was not implemented to make life more convenience for
admins.  It was implemented to protect members and reduce their bad debt
exposure and expenses.