[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

j.c.hallgren at juno.com j.c.hallgren at juno.com
Mon Feb 18 15:06:29 EST 2008

Mwolson wrote:
>>Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

>> We seemed to agree a few months ago on a change in the way that we
>> deal with low member balances.  I've done my part of the
>> implementation needed to switch to the new approach.  I'll summarize
>> the changes here and then list what remains for other people to do.

>Make sure that an email is sent to hcoop-announce emphasizing that
>members need to have at least three months worth of payments in their
>account at all times.  Also, it would be good to give members a grace
>period of at least one month after the announcement before putting >this script into action.

I was quite surprised today to check my balance and see that it shows as a negative $1.09! My Excel spreadsheet where I track all income/expense for the site shows me a $14.01 balance, so I was first wondering what the heck happened...then I read these emails and see there was some changes implemented...now as a 3+ yr member, I think I've established that I'm not a delinquent guy, but will admit that sometimes, I've been a bit distracted and not kept up as well as others do...I'd not received any announcements about this change so was obviously caught by surprise...keeping a required balance of about $15 compared to $10 threashold before isn't that big of a deal, but I'd certainly like to have a bit of leeway in that if my balance goes to bit less than 2 mths bal, then things should maybe get tighter, but as this site runs on a shoestring budget, keeping too much funds in reserve at HCoop isn't that practical either...I'm more than willing to pay when needed, and I'm not that hard to contact either, so the chances of not being able to collect from me is pretty slim, (unless I'm incapicitated), thus having to keep $25+ total, while not a real hardship, isn't my ideal desire either.