[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Mon Feb 18 14:19:57 EST 2008

>> 2. this essentially means that there is a deposit of 3 months that
>> cannot be used by the user.
>>
>> what is the purpose of this deposit?
>>

> I think the first e-mail of this thread answered your question...
> almost.  Our bylaws allow us to boot members who have negative balances
> for three months.  The purpose of the deposit is to ensure that we can
> kick out anyone whose balance (in the current, "old" sense of the word)
> reaches 0, avoiding any need to try to collect on debt.  We need to
> consider the deposit separately from the balance because people tend to
> ignore any number that isn't less than or equal to 0, in e-mail
> communications telling them how low their balances are.

Booting people with zero balance is fine.
preventing service from people who have 3 months worth of payments is
not fine.
in my opinion, people should be notified when they balance is
approaching zero (several times, people have a tendency to think "I`ll
do that later" and then forget about it).
two weeks before the account reaches zero it should be frozen solid and
the user should not be able to do anything at all except pay to restore
his account.
if one month after the zero date the user have not paid his bill the
account should be booted and the user data removed from the system.
the user will be billed in full for that extra month if he choose to pay
the bills.

That's what I think, anyway.

    Omry.