[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Feb 18 14:09:02 EST 2008

Omry Yadan wrote:
> 1. I hope there will be a few warning emails (T-4 months, T-3.5 months,
> T-0.25 months?)  sent automatically when the user balance approach 3
> months worth of payments.

The script warns now 2 months ahead of time.  I really have no sympathy
for people who need more time than that to plan to pay a few dollars, so
I won't change it unless someone lays out a rational argument in favor
of an alternative.

> 2. this essentially means that there is a deposit of 3 months that
> cannot be used by the user.
>
> what is the purpose of this deposit?

I think the first e-mail of this thread answered your question...
almost.  Our bylaws allow us to boot members who have negative balances
for three months.  The purpose of the deposit is to ensure that we can
kick out anyone whose balance (in the current, "old" sense of the word)
reaches 0, avoiding any need to try to collect on debt.  We need to
consider the deposit separately from the balance because people tend to
ignore any number that isn't less than or equal to 0, in e-mail
communications telling them how low their balances are.