[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Mon Feb 18 13:46:51 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 01:31:37PM -0500, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> We seemed to agree a few months ago on a change in the way that we deal
> with low member balances.  I've done my part of the implementation
> needed to switch to the new approach.  I'll summarize the changes here
> and then list what remains for other people to do.
>
> - The point of this plan is to prevent members from sticking around and
> being charged, even after they owe us money.  Our bylaws allow us to
> kick out folks who are delinquent for three months, thus we set a magic
> "deposit" amount at 3 months' estimated dues, based on each member's
> pledge amount.
> - When the difference between what a member has paid us and what he has
> been charged goes below his deposit amount, we freeze his account.  All
> of his data should be maintained, but he shouldn't be able to do
> anything with HCoop besides read e-mail sent to his HCoop address.
> - When the difference between what a member has paid us and what he has
> been charged goes to 0, the board votes this person out of the co-op,
> unless there are mitigating circumstances.  Lack of response by the
> member in question to billing inquiries implies that we will vote him out.

Does this mean that new members can pay $11 initially, and be able to
"beta test" HCoop based on this $10 net worth until our next billing cycle
(that is, until they drop below $10) ?

My point is, I would agree with the changes and procedures, but I first
want to make sure that people are still fine with paying around $10
initially, and that this will not unconditionally raise the initial
fee from 3 to effectively 4 months up-front.

-doc