[HCoop-Discuss] ByLaws change vote - 40 voters total?

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 12:06:46 EST 2008

On 02/02/2008, at 11:47 PM, Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> I don't completely agree with with Michael and Peter.  While I
> encourage
> all members to get involved with the co-op to the maximum extent
> possible, and I would especially urge everyone to make informed
> votes on
> bylaws amendments and board elections, I don't think everyone who
> joins
> needs to have that level of involvement.

I don't see the disagreement. I meant "epistemic free riding" in the
sense used by the Google hits, and did not mean to cast moral
aspersions. Hence the smiley. :-)

(The wikipedia page on Condercet's jury theorem links to a paper that
talks about the (abstract!) problem, which you may find interesting if
you're studying the construction of public institutions.)

cheers
peter