[HCoop-Discuss] ByLaws change vote - 40 voters total?

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Feb 2 11:47:21 EST 2008

I don't completely agree with with Michael and Peter.  While I encourage
all members to get involved with the co-op to the maximum extent
possible, and I would especially urge everyone to make informed votes on
bylaws amendments and board elections, I don't think everyone who joins
needs to have that level of involvement.

As long as you pay your dues on time and are not harming the operation
of the cooperative, either technically or socially, you are contributing
resources to the co-op.  There's room for people who just want to get
their hosting services from a coop.  I think being honest and not voting
because you know you are not informed is better than just voting for
whatever proposal has the most support.

There are cooperatives out there that require all members to contribute
equal work to be part of the co-op and consider it free-riding not to do
so, such as my food co-op.  They price accordingly.  For us, this is
obviously not workable for reasons discussed before (not everyone can be
an admin, and admins do a large portion of all the work).

-ntk