[HCoop-Discuss] Membership freeze?

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat May 12 17:27:07 EDT 2007

Adam Chlipala wrote:
> I propose that we freeze membership until we get to the point where new
> members can have their accounts set up only on the new servers and find
> there all of the services they need.  We're ready to start setting
> current members up on the new servers, and I don't think it's fair to
> expect volunteer admins to do anything serious on fyodor anymore.  New
> members tend to have initial flurries of activity setting up their
> domains.  Once we are ready to force everyone to switch over to the new
> servers, all of that work will need to be redone.  This includes work by
> new members learning the horribly ad-hoc Domtool 1, and then needing to
> drop it all and learn Domtool 2, possibly the very next day, in the
> worst case!

Since we're not actively soliciting members we are not exactly getting a
flood of applicants.  I don't want to turn a single one away at a time
where we are going to need an expanded membership shortly.  Not all
qualified prospective members are going to wait around for us to get our
act together.

> I also want to go further and suggest declaring an official policy of
> not accepting any more support requests having to do with fyodor,
> excepting emergencies relating to established services.  We would
> acknowledge that this means that members won't be able to achieve
> reasonable levels of service in some cases, but that our volunteer
> workforce simply isn't able/willing to spend time on setting up stuff
> that will be retired ASAP.
I agree with this one.  We can provide minimal support to any new users
as far as pointing them to documentation, but let's get things going at
Peer1.