[HCoop-Discuss] Membership freeze?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat May 12 17:38:37 EDT 2007

Nathan Kennedy wrote:
> Since we're not actively soliciting members we are not exactly getting a
> flood of applicants.  I don't want to turn a single one away at a time
> where we are going to need an expanded membership shortly.  Not all
> qualified prospective members are going to wait around for us to get our
> act together.

I don't want to turn anyone away, either, but I also don't want to be
scrambling around synchronizing two worlds of data.  The state of the
portal is related to the database of UNIX users.  In a hcoop-sysadmin
post, I motivated why we should switch ASAP to using the portal on
deleuze as the official one.  It can't work very well for processing new
users without an idea of which user accounts exist; for instance, in
determining which usernames are available to request.

Also, you're not the one who deals with Domtool support requests.  It's
a continuous responsibility, not something that you can schedule when
you feel up to it, and I just don't want to agree to do that with two
separate implementations of the same functionality at this point in my
life.  There is no way that we can accept new members without generating
a stream of support requests related to systems that will die with
fyodor.  We will end up pissing these members off if we accept them and
then give them no way to set up their sites, because we've frozen
support requests related to fyodor.