[HCoop-Discuss] Membership freeze?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat May 12 17:05:26 EDT 2007

I propose that we freeze membership until we get to the point where new
members can have their accounts set up only on the new servers and find
there all of the services they need.  We're ready to start setting
current members up on the new servers, and I don't think it's fair to
expect volunteer admins to do anything serious on fyodor anymore.  New
members tend to have initial flurries of activity setting up their
domains.  Once we are ready to force everyone to switch over to the new
servers, all of that work will need to be redone.  This includes work by
new members learning the horribly ad-hoc Domtool 1, and then needing to
drop it all and learn Domtool 2, possibly the very next day, in the
worst case!

I also want to go further and suggest declaring an official policy of
not accepting any more support requests having to do with fyodor,
excepting emergencies relating to established services.  We would
acknowledge that this means that members won't be able to achieve
reasonable levels of service in some cases, but that our volunteer
workforce simply isn't able/willing to spend time on setting up stuff
that will be retired ASAP.

Any objections to these ideas?  Objections "on principle" that ignore
the real costs of different policies to the admins will be summarily
ignored. ;)