[HCoop-Discuss] Spam Assassin Problems

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri Jun 15 20:56:37 EDT 2007

John T. Settino wrote:
>> I think the hcoop admins do care. When things hit the fan, admins tend
>> to vanish and buckle down to work on the trouble. They can either talk
>> to us or work on the systems.
>>

> I can understand as much but at least a, "we'll look into it and let you
> know" message would be appreciated. Otherwise, it gives the impression
> that it's going ignored.

As I announced to the hcoop-sysadmin list, I was away from Internet
access from Sunday until today.  Theoretically, we have 3 other admins
who should have been prepared to handled the issue.  In practice, only
docelic is still doing admin things.  clinton and leonhard have faded
out of the mindsets of checking for emergencies and considering
themselves responsible for handling them.  I guess docelic was just busy
in the first span of the incident, or he was delayed by unfamiliarity
with the SpamAssassin stuff, which I set up and am informally
responsible for on fyodor.

I've already suggested significantly more formal
assignment-of-admin-responsibility procedures on our mailing lists and
our wiki, but it has seemed to make sense to implement them first for
the new servers only.  Hopefully things will go more smoothly there.