[HCoop-Discuss] Membership freeze?

Terrence Brannon metaperl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 01:21:18 EDT 2007

On 5/13/07, Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Terrence Brannon wrote:
> > Freezing is just that - it is cold and impersonal. No one complained
> > doesnt mean they werent unhappy. They might've feared permanent
> > rejection if they opened their mouth. I request a vote on this issue.
> >

> If anything, it would be a vote among the people whose life schedules
> are impacted by the decision, not rank-and-file members.  No aspect of
> our culture dictates that volunteers are required to sacrifice arbitrary
> amounts of their time to prevent current and prospective members from
> feeling that something "cold and impersonal" is going on.  Every member
> joining before migration adds concrete time requirements on admins.
>
> At any rate, two out of three board members approved the freeze
> decision, so it is in effect now.

I thought board members only mattered for minor day-to-day decisions.
Cutting into our bottom line is a major decision. You are jeopardizing
our money flow for an indeterminate length of time.

> I would consider changing my vote if
> a majority of _admins_ turn out to oppose the idea, or maybe if some
> members want to pay us for our time handling migration.

migration is one thing. software improvement is another. you are
trying to do both simultaneously and cutting into our bottom line in
the process.

we are not held up by migration. We are held up by your attempt to
create improved software.

Why do you call us members? Peons, pawns, subjects, or serfs is the
extent of our power here :)

--
HIV/AIDS on trial - http://www.aliveandwell.org/
Let's play chess: http://www.SlowChess.com