[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Apr 30 17:47:54 EDT 2007

Terrence Brannon wrote:
> SECOND, the frontpage says:
> You can save money. You get all this for a price ... dropping as new
> members join.
> But the fact is that you are asking JC Hallgren for 100.00, this is 20
> months worth of service at the 5.00/month rate he is accustomed to.

Where did anyone ask him for $100?  I think I made it clear that I was
only asking for short-term "loan" help from people for whom that amount
is entirely insignificant if it gets back to them eventually.

> I think my question is: what responsibilities does the Board of
> Directors have towards me as a member? I feel victimized to be a part
> of an organization that is caught is so deep in debt for no tangible
> gain and now they want huge sums of money. And yet they tell me they
> dont have to tell me anything about what they discuss and decide.

Not to belittle the problem, but I can't help but chuckle at this
bandying about of the term "debt" to describe just $5000.  I've repeated
several times that I will pay for all of this personally if that becomes
necessary to achieve harmony.  I promise that there will be no extra
cost to anyone who asks not to be charged for the Peer 1 fees incurred
up to the point when we are ready to move members.

Not to mention that every detail about this has been discussed on
hcoop-sysadmin all along.  If you choose not to subscribe, you should
accept not being in the loop.

> I will re-iterate my request that we get off the old servers
> immediately to make our rental fees on the new ones count. Please
> address this request with a yes or no and a reason why.

No.  We aren't able to do this without interrupting current services, as
the new servers aren't ready.

> If nothing else, let us, as a cooperative, put a hard cap on the
> amount of money that we will spend paying for a server that we cannot
> use. Why couldn't this open-ended experimentation have been done on a
> personal box somewhere? Apache and AFS are free software.

Because past evidence suggested that we could configure everything
quickly, we didn't consider that costs of set-up time would be
significant.  The issue of whether to configure the servers in
colocation that we were already paying for was discussed either here or
in hcoop-sysadmin, where you had the opportunity to object and
apparently didn't.