[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Terrence Brannon metaperl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 16:28:13 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Terrence Brannon wrote:

> > Was the strategy for migration put before us as a coop? Were the
> > project management and release control issues placed before us as a
> > coop? What can we do as a coop to have better project management and
> > release control?
> >

> We've talked about this before.  There is no legal basis for a
> requirement of discussing these issues with members before making
> decisions, nor have we ever agreed on an informal culture that
> encourages that.  We made a conscious decision in the construction of
> our bylaws to have the members elect a board of directors that makes
> these decisions.

If that is the case, then you need to make this reality a bit clearer on the
frontpage:

FIRST, above you state -
   nor have we ever agreed on an informal culture that encourages that.
But on the front of the website it is stated -
  We also make an effort to decide as much as possible through open
discussion by  the members

SECOND, the frontpage says:
You can save money. You get all this for a price ... dropping as new members
join.
But the fact is that you are asking JC Hallgren for 100.00, this is 20
months worth of service at the 5.00/month rate he is accustomed to.

I think my question is: what responsibilities does the Board of Directors
have towards me as a member? I feel victimized to be a part of an
organization that is caught is so deep in debt for no tangible gain and now
they want huge sums of money. And yet they tell me they dont have to tell me
anything about what they discuss and decide.

I will re-iterate my request that we get off the old servers immediately to
make our rental fees on the new ones count. Please address this request with
a yes or no and a reason why.

If nothing else, let us, as a cooperative, put a hard cap on the amount of
money that we will spend paying for a server that we cannot use. Why
couldn't this open-ended experimentation have been done on a personal box
somewhere? Apache and AFS are free software.

We might've been able to approach sourceforge about this, especially given
all the interview press Hcoop has gotten.

--
HIV/AIDS on trial - http://www.aliveandwell.org/
Let's play chess: http://www.SlowChess.com