[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 28 22:50:35 EDT 2007

After the string of emails today and the IRC chat that we had over the
financial situation of the Coop, I wanted to summarize the most
important issues that I felt have been raised.  In addition, I wanted to
propose a solution that is similar to much of what has been discussed
and is one that I would like to see implemented immediately.

First, I see it as a serious problem that the Coop has no money for
repairs and upgrades.  In the new setup, if one of our machines dies it
is uncertain how the Coop would respond or survive.  At best, it would
be left to individual wealthy members to bail us out as they saw fit.
At worst, the Coop would dissolve.

Second, there is an uncertain situation where the Coop is in debt to
Adam because he has been paying for the Peer 1 hosting costs
out-of-pocket (currently the debt is about $4000).  Although Adam seems
to be uncertain about how or if he will have members pay him back, this
dependence and ambiguity is exactly the sort of thing that in my opinion
the Cooperative should be trying to avoid.  Although I am deeply
grateful to Adam for having helped us out in this situation, in the
future this could lead to members imposing conditions on an organization
that is supposed to be democratic.

Because of the above points, I think that HCoop is currently in a poor
situation financially and administratively.  Technically, however, there
is a lot of promise in the new server configuration that the board and
the volunteer system administrators have been spending long hours on.  I
think that one of the most important things that we can do now to ensure
that we remain strong as a cooperative as we go through these technical
changes is to implement a system whereby a certain amount every month is
set aside, either to repay our debt to Adam or to save for repairs and
maintenance.  This is necessary to ensure that the organization
continues to be democratic and sustainable.

Although it is clear that we must focus the majority of our energy on
the user migration to the Peer 1 network in order to avoid wasting
unnecessary resources, I think that we can make a simple change to the
way that we collect dues in order to resolve the issues mentioned
above.  Specifically, we should stop charging a deceptively low amount
to users that does not take into consideration the outstanding loan from
Adam and the need for the Coop to maintain reserve funds.  One possible
solution to this would be to add an extra "hosting cost" of $150 per
month to the costs that we divide between users.  This could be used to
repay the loan from Adam or to maintain a fund for repairs and upgrades
that the Coop needs.  It would be used by the discretion of the board
based on their votes.  I think that this is a rather straight-forward
step that can be taken immediately to address some of the most critical
issues faced by HCoop.  Finally, I would like to propose that we
minimize ambiguity in future loans or donations to the Coop by accepting
these funds with predetermined conditions into a fund maintained by the
board.

Currently there are a lot of technical and administrative changes
occurring in the Coop as we rapidly expand.  I am looking forward to
supporting technically and administratively as I have been in the past
with these changes.  I am also hoping to see the board respond to the
two issues summarized in this email by a vote in the near future.

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion today, and everyone
who has been putting in lots of time during an exciting transitional
period for HCoop.

Justin