[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 28 15:21:36 EDT 2007

Aaron Hsu wrote:
> At the same time, I think this is a good time to implement an expansion part of the costs
> here. I believe it would be a good idea to be constantly expanding or
> preparing to expand, but to only do so when sufficient funds have been
> acrued. To this end, if we began, immediately, to take the current hosting
> costs, plus 10% and charge members for that, this would not all be harmful
> to the members, and when this is combined with the assistance of other
> people, such as myself or the multiple hundred dollar accounts that are
> paying more, the costs could be offset some while we are still migrating
> over all users. Then, leave the 10% Expansion Fee in place after we have
> migrated. This money can then be stored up and used for expanding services
> when the time comes around. This way, HCoop Members are not just paying
> for the costs of the group, but they are also paying to ensure that the
> service continues to be around.

Thank you for suggesting this, Aaron.  I think that the 10% figure that
you cited is a very reasonable way to get HCoop to start saving money.
As I mentioned on the hcoop-sysadmin list recently, I'm worried that the
Coop has not been saving any money for repairs and upgrades, and that
IMHO this is the single biggest threat to our sustainability.  I hope
that your idea gains support and that we have a monthly contribution for
a "Expansion Fee" (although I would add that it could be a "Expansion
and Maintenance Fee") in the very near future.

I'd like to hear other member opinions on this issue as I think it's a
really critical one for the Coop to address as soon as possible.  Thanks
again for bringing it up, Aaron!