[HCoop-Discuss] Financial situation

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 28 13:51:39 EDT 2007

To recap: Peer 1 has been charging us for colocation services for a few
months now, as we've been setting up our new servers there.  We're not
yet ready to switch over to the new systems, though.  I have been
working under the assumption that a reasonable slice of the membership
would be unwilling to pay shares of the Peer 1 costs before they are yet
receiving direct benefit from the new servers.  As a result, I haven't
been incorporating the Peer 1 costs into the financial records on the
portal, the idea being that, at the point when we are ready to move any
member over, we consider all the Peer 1 costs to that point as a
one-time cost to be split in a special way to be determined.

Now, a few months into that, we have about $4000 worth of those
charges.  I sent a request to hcoop-announce recently asking for people
to throw in more money to help cover these costs in the mean time.  With
the volume of people who seemed to respond to that, it's clear that only
payments of several hundred dollars per person could make a difference,
and that didn't happen.  I've ended up essentially paying all Peer 1
costs from my personal funds each month.

So, what should we do?  I don't have any idea how soon we'll be ready to
switch to the new servers.  Essentially no one responded to my call to
"lend" HCoop money in the interim.

Should we call this the point where we bundle the charges so far into
one sum that we split among willing members ASAP, and from here on bill
monthly charges to everyone as they arrive?

Or, can more of you add several hundred dollars each to your HCoop balances?