[HCoop-Discuss] spam honey pot

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Thu Apr 26 21:44:29 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I recently set up an account with the "Project Honey Pot."  One
component of this project allows you to set up a "honey pot" page on
your web site that gathers information on web bots harvesting email
addresses for spamming purposes.  You can do this in a way that is
invisible to most site visitors, and it works transparently once set
up.  It only took me a minute to set up and the php page that it
generated (which you have to install on your site) runs perfectly on
HCoop's current infrastructure.

Eventually, I think that we could implement the "black hole" software at
the server level to stop spam bots from harvesting all of the sites on
our servers.  This might help us to save bandwidth and server resources
as well.  I would certainly wait until the new infrastructure is stable
to suggest such a change, of course.

For now, though, I just wanted to toss this out to the group in case
anyone is interested in experimenting with the honey pot software on
your own web sites.  It's easy and I think helps to fight back against
increasingly annoying spamming practices.

Here is the project URL:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/

Have fun and I'd like to hear your experiences with this software!

Justin