[HCoop-Discuss] Jabber Server

Matthieu Sozeau mattam at mattam.org
Mon Apr 16 04:57:28 EDT 2007

Le 16 avr. 07 à 00:26, Aaron Hsu a écrit :

> Hey everyone,

Hi Aaron,

> I wanted to get general feedback from everyone on what they thought
> of the
> current Jabber Setup. Has anyone had any unresolved issues or
> wishes on
> the Jabber Server? I know that the last time I used it I was having
> some
> trouble with the server and other people being able to see me
> logged in.
> Since it only happened with select people, it appeared that we were
> not
> going to solve the problem very quickly. However, with the advent
> of these
> new servers, I have renewed hopes that I will be able to have a fully
> functional Jabber server to use with my Hcoop name. :-)
>
> I was hoping to get in touch with unknown_lamer/Clinton and discuss
> what,
> if anything, is being done differently for the Jabber servers this
> time
> around. I am not sure (reading from the migration wiki pages) if the
> Jabber work on the new servers has been done already, or if we are
> still
> waiting a while to do that.

Don't know about that either, a heads-up would be nice.

> I understand that the decision has been made to stick with the same
> thing
> that you are all using now, but I wanted to check and see if
> perhaps there
> is a chance of being able to work out some of the bugs (the
> disappearing
> nick being the highest, possibly only, priority)? I personally find
> Jive
> Software's IM platform much easier to implement and use than Ejabberd,
> which we are currently using, but since the decision has already
> been made
> to stick with the same software, I guess there is no changing that.
> Is the
> SoftwareArchitecturePlans page up-to-date regarding the Jabber
> decisions?
> If so, would it not make sense to have every user automatically be
> given a
> Jabber account at signup? Forcing SSL and integrating the server
> with the
> users database would seem to be ideal.

I have a similar problem of my contacts names disappearing upon
connection, so I can't start a conversation
  because my contact list become empty (that may be an iChat bug
though, i've no problem with KDE's kopete).
So, if Jive's platform is better in any way and you feel like taking
care of it I think  it should be considered seriously.

-- mattam