[HCoop-Discuss] Jabber Server

Aaron Hsu arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Sun Apr 15 18:26:34 EDT 2007

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get general feedback from everyone on what they thought of the
current Jabber Setup. Has anyone had any unresolved issues or wishes on
the Jabber Server? I know that the last time I used it I was having some
trouble with the server and other people being able to see me logged in.
Since it only happened with select people, it appeared that we were not
going to solve the problem very quickly. However, with the advent of these
new servers, I have renewed hopes that I will be able to have a fully
functional Jabber server to use with my Hcoop name. :-)

I was hoping to get in touch with unknown_lamer/Clinton and discuss what,
if anything, is being done differently for the Jabber servers this time
around. I am not sure (reading from the migration wiki pages) if the
Jabber work on the new servers has been done already, or if we are still
waiting a while to do that.

I understand that the decision has been made to stick with the same thing
that you are all using now, but I wanted to check and see if perhaps there
is a chance of being able to work out some of the bugs (the disappearing
nick being the highest, possibly only, priority)? I personally find Jive
Software's IM platform much easier to implement and use than Ejabberd,
which we are currently using, but since the decision has already been made
to stick with the same software, I guess there is no changing that. Is the
SoftwareArchitecturePlans page up-to-date regarding the Jabber decisions?
If so, would it not make sense to have every user automatically be given a
Jabber account at signup? Forcing SSL and integrating the server with the
users database would seem to be ideal.

Has a decision been made about whether or not virtual jabber server
support is going to be allowed?

Forgive me if this has all already been finalized and handled, I'm just
curious about the current status of HCoop's Jabber setup.

--
Aaron Hsu <arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net>
http://www.aaronhsu.com | XMPP/Gtalk: arcfide at xmpp.us
(703) 597-7656 | "No one could make a greater mistake than he who did
nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke