[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Rob Linwood rlinwood at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 21:00:01 EST 2006

On 11/28/06, Aaron Hsu <arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net> wrote:

> I am afraid that at this point, I must express my strong desire NOT to
> proceed as proposed. Most of the suggestions on the EnvironmentalPolicy wiki
> I do like, recycling our equipment and using paper, etc. is simply common

I've never spoken up on this list before, but as a co-op member, I
think I should.  I am 100% in favor of this proposal.  Anything which
reduces dependence on non-renewable or dirty energy supplies is a
benefit to everyone in the long run, and it is, in my opinion, the
duty of non-profit motivated organizations like the HCoop to pioneer
this sort of action.  Here in New York City, we have the option to
purchase wind power, and even if the actual power we receive does not
originate from wind power, choosing to support clean power businesses
decreases the amount of dirty power used overall.

> sense. I have a strong resistance currently to paying (even a small amount)
> these organizations. These do not stem from a resistance to the support of
> these types of energy saving projects. However, I have not had time to
> research these companies, and many of these organizations seem to also use
> the money to fund other projects which I do not support. That is, I am not
> interested in providing funding for the EPA, or any special interest groups
> which tend to be associated with these types of "Green" projects.

The EPA is part of the US government.  There is no "funding" going on
here.  I am confused by this objection.

> cleaner energy plants, etc. I do not like the idea of an organization llike
> ours providing funds to a company or organization which also spends these
> funds, not only on private action, but political lobbying to impel
> government to action, usually in the form of regulation and legislation. So

I hate to sound like a jerk, but what you just described is typical
behavior for US corporations.  Lobbying, fund raising for political
campaigns, and so forth is a part of any large scale company.
Personally, if we wish to dig deeper, I would recommend an
investigation into the political contributions of the senior
management of whichever power company it is that supplies the Peer1
data center we will be using.

thanks,
Rob Linwood -- rob at linwood.us -- rcl at hcoop.net
http://rob.linwood.us/